[RFI] CQ-BPL

Tom Cox tomcox at iquest.net
Fri Jan 30 13:14:40 EST 2004

I have a new approach to the  BPL interference discussion.

I'm quite certain no one on this list would engage in any activity by
Amateur Radio Operators that would deliberately reduce the effectiveness
of nearby (unlicensed) BPL activity. Perish the thought! That certainly
is the farthest thing from MY mind.

However, it would be interesting to determine what the signal format of
BPL is in a given area, so we can explore operating modes that most
resemble that format --  within the Part 97 regulatory constraints, of
course -- and use them extensively in those same areas. Who knows? Some
digital format, such as Digtrx, may already fill the bill.

Why imitate the BPL format? Isn't it obvious? Since we are assured by
the proponents of BPL that interference doesn't exist, because BPL
doesn't radiate from power lines, we should use a very similar signal
format.  It just makes sense -- if their signal doesn't leave the power
line and interfere with area radio users, our signal shouldn't enter the
powerlines and interfere with theirs. Right?

We should make a good-faith effort to test this new operating mode,
perhaps with a nation-wide contest or two. We could call it "CQ-BPL,"
and grant a multiplier for every contact made to or from BPL-serviced
areas of the country, and a big bonus if both operators are in areas
with BPL activity. High-power stations should get extra points.

Doing anything this weekend?

73,
Tom, KT9OM