[RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

Dave Bernstein dave.bernstein at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 14:22:35 EDT 2004

Re "There are a few of us working this issue within ARRL, but hundreds of
thousands of amateurs out there. Guess which group can get the most done!"

1. where would I find a list of all active and planned BPL pilots and their
grid squares?

2. where would I find the list of hams the ARRL has organized to monitor
these pilots so I can contact them and take advantage of what they've
learned?

3. where would I find the list of public service agencies that depend on HF
communications?

4. has the ARRL sought out hams in these agencies and alerted them to be on
the lookout for BPL-generated RFI?

Buried in the middle of http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/ , I found a
list of 8 experimental BPL licenses granted by the FCC, but this list is
clearly incomplete (Cedar Rapids IA and Menlo Park CA are both missing, for
example) and is in some cases too vague to be actionable, e.g. "Southern
Telecom WC2XZG AL, FL, GA, MS, unspecified locations". There is a later
reference to "This UPLC/PLCA joint paper reports that successful field
trials have taken place in the US in AL, MD, MO, NY, OH, PA, and VA" with
the implication that no amateurs were aware of their existence.

I guess my meta-question is "what is the ARRL doing to effectively organize
those hundreds of thousands of amateurs?". Asking for donations doesn't
count.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ