[RFI] Power Line Noise in Indonesia

Simon Martin simon at knaap.co.id
Wed Jul 21 01:35:46 EDT 2004

Many thanks to all that offered their help and advice to me concerning the
power line noise I suffer here in Indonesia - I have replied to some
off-list so as not to burden others with my replies.
I can see there aren't going to be any short cuts with this so will do as
suggested and locate the source of the noise - then I think it will entail
"greasing a few palms" to elicit help from guys working for the local power
utility.

As a side note, all the residential areas here have local security guards
to keep watch over the neighbourhoods. On the hour from midnight until five
in the morning they walk each street under their control and give an
electricity pole a good whack with a metal pipe to indicate what time of
the night it is (starting with twelve for midnight!). I know it seems a bit
strange but it indicates to all residents that the guards are doing their
job and not sleeping. One can only imagine the damage inflicted on these
poles that receive 27 strong hits per night 365 times per year !

I will report back when I get a resolution to this.

Simon
YB3ASD
M0GOT