[RFI] Re: Another question

Scott Ginsburg k1oa at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 06:31:58 EDT 2004

Tom,

>  How long have you been hearing this "main" noise ?

	I first started hearing it on May 9, and have
heard it every day since then.

> I have listened to the wave files again, and it still just
> sounds like summertime storm noise.
>  I have been plaqued with different types of "electrical"
> and line noise for many years, and this sounds nothing
> like the wave files.

	I too have been plagued with electrical
noises on and off for the past 4 or 5 years, in fact
earlier this year I tracked one down to a set of poles
about 4000 ft from my house, which Mass. Electric
spent some time working on and I *think* have fixed the
problem (I still hear occasional buzzing for very short
bursts).

>  Do you hear the noise on 3.5 / 1.8 Mhz ? Even without a resonant
> antenna on those bands you should still be able to hear it.

	I do hear static crashes on 80M, but I'm not 100% sure it's
the noise. What I'll try tonight is listening to 20M on my MP
using my log periodic, and 80M on my FT-990 with my loop and
see if the bursts occur at the same time.

>  The summertime atmospheric noises typically are not heard
> on the upper bands.

	I don't ever remember hearing S9 static crashes occuring at
a rapid rate on 17M during the summer, like they were last night on
my receiver. I don't think this is summer time static.

						tnx and 73,
						Scott