[RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Mar 5 15:43:25 EST 2004

At 12:32 PM 3/5/04 -0800, N6KJ wrote:
>The BPL proponents continue to insist that power lines will not radiate
>like an antenna and that their equipment appears as a "point-source"
>radiator.  If that's true, then why is it possible to place an AM
>BC band radio near the electrical outlet in a dorm room and receive a
>low-voltage broadcast that originated who knows how far away?   This doesn't
>sound like a "point-source" to me.  Does it to anyone else?

Amusing, indeed.  I was on the staff of WESU in Middletown, Connecticut
1959-1963.  When I arrived, the station used a 5-watt AM carrier current
system, and we were heard all over campus.  It wasn't just a question of
"close to an outlet" -- we could be heard just about anywhere inside the
campus electrical system, though with varying quality.  We switched to
low-power FM in about 1961, but the old carrier current system certainly
demonstrated how well all that wiring worked as an antenna.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm