[RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Fri Mar 5 16:06:13 EST 2004

We set up a carrier current AM system at our college in the 1960's.  It had
(IIRC) a 5 watt 540 kHz transmitter installed in each dormitory and coupled to
the AC downstream from the pole transformer, at 120/240 vac.  It was enough to
get a signal everywhere in the building.  We had to do a signal strength survey
to show that the radiated level was down to xx microvolts/meter a few hundred
feet away from the building.  The bandwidth was naturally limited to ~10 kHz,
and the interference potential was pretty low.

I'm not sure the exact relevance to current BPL, except that the laws of physics
have probably not changed since then.

73- Martin, AA6E