[RFI] Chattam & Wells/Perfect Fit Industries Electric Blanket

Alex kr1st at amsat.org
Wed Mar 24 09:26:35 EST 2004

...or why do sagas continue?

I talked to my neighbors this past weekend and they told me that they
were able to get a full refund from Penny's on the Perfect Fit
Industries electric blanket. The called the company and they
acknowledged the problem and said they would send a replacement power
supply when they become available. Armed with this information they were
able to get a full refund, even after two months. We were all happy
about this outcome.

Then they told me they ordered another one just like it but from a
different manufacturer. You know that sinking feeling you get when you
know trouble is heading your way? Chattam & Wells they said it was.
Well, guess what, they're made by Perfect Fit Industries:

http://www.comforthouse.com/comfort/blankets1.html

I don't know if they received this blanket yet as I didn't have an
opportunity yet to talk to them.

Anyway, yesterday I turned on the radio on 15 meters and heard this
ticking noise. I'm sure that anyone who had to put up with this noise
for any length of time would agree with me that it's like Chinese water
torture. I almost prefer power line noise. S3 to S4 it was, less strong
than before. This time it's very very faint on 10 meters, and could not
hear it on VHF. The peak seems to be around 19.9 MHz with an S6 signal
and can hear it at certain intervals on 20 meters.

Now there are two possibilities. One is that they did get the new
blanket and it has some filter capabilities built in the power supply so
the noise is less severe. The other is that maybe someone else in the
neighborhood purchased one. I did drive by the house of my neighbors,
who had one before, with a scanner tuned to 20 MHz AM, but didn't hear
anything. It could be that the ignition noise masked the noise I'm
trying to track. When they still had the old blanket I could easily hear
the noise on 136 MHz AM when I got close to their house. So perhaps it's
not them but someone else. When I get some more time I'll drive around
in the neighborhood and see if I can find it somewhere else.

*Sigh*

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com