[RFI] WSJ-BPL

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 17:11:53 EST 2004

all:

I spoke with Ken Brown, the reporter who wrote the WSJ piece,
yesterday.  Although he works in the WSJ's technology section,
he freely admits he's not technical.  He also pointed out that
he hadn't seen my email because he'd received over 150 mails from
amateur radio operators, and was considering changing his policy
of replying to all mail.

We discussed the relative merits of BPL as an investment.  He believes
it will either succeed or fail on its merits.  He DID agree that
amateur complaints will probably not deter the industry from trying
to roll it out.

We were both rushing to meetings, so I left him with one thought...
police, fire, ambulance, aircraft nav/com are all transient services.
Their clients are potentially at risk from this technology being
rolled out.

I resent him my email, and also sent it to letters to the editor.

Along the way, my WSJ sources also got me Brown's boss's name and
phone number.  Not sure what I want to do there, yet, but I'm open
to ideas.

Jim Jarvis  N2EA
Pasadena, MD