[RFI] BPL Protest Opportunity? & BC-AM Ant Improvement?

doc kd4e kd4e at arrl.net
Tue May 4 08:04:33 EDT 2004

CliffHazen at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 5/3/04 19:59:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, W4EF at dellroy.com
> writes:
> I guess its safe to assume you won't be attending the protest, Berry :):)
>
> Mike, W4EF.................
> Why bother, BPL is a done deal as far as the FCC, Powell and George Bush are
> concerned.
>
> Cliff N7HIY

What a pathetic cop-out that is.  In our three-branch
system of government plus media e.g. broadcast, cable,
Internet and the freedom to gather publically to
express opinions there is no excuse at all to pretend
that one has no capacity to influence decision making,
unless one is merely using this as an excuse for yet
another partisan political attack on our President.

Instead of whining, finger-pointing, and pretending
that John "what-do-I-believe?" Kerry represents any
sort of solution whatsoever accept your responsibility
as a citizen and write the White House, the FCC,
Congress, and the newspaper.  Call radio talk shows
and put a sign in your car window. Tell the story!

When you don't act and vote you double the power of
one of the buddies of a BPL special interest lobbyist.

When you imagine that a chronically disingenuous
career politician (John Kerry, with a history of
caving to every special interest of the moment) will
magically solve the BPL problem, yet you blindly attack
our President who has a history of accepting new
information and the courage to change his position,
you hurt the stop-BPL cause.

More directly on-Topic for this RFI list, anyone
know of an add-on BC-AM preamp for the car?  Or
a source for a better antenna (no room inside the
fender of my Chevy Astro van for a power antenna
with a long telescoping whip) -- perhaps a longer
fixed whip or a coil base that would electrically
lengthen the antenna without making it absurdly
tall?

I am told that BC-AM tuner sections are junk in
all of the new radios and with the coming of
digital BC-AM there is no incentive to upgrade
the old analog technology.  Meanwhile I'd sure
like to strengthen the initially captured signal
so the engine and environmental noise doesn't
drown-out the weak ones!

Off to work ...

--
Thanks! & 73, doc  kd4e