[RFI] Computer monitor RFI

dj2001 at mn.rr.com dj2001 at mn.rr.com
Fri May 7 14:51:48 EDT 2004

>The Sony 15" monitor connected to the computer I am using with my
>rig generates an enormous amount of RFI: S9 signals at intervals on
>20m and up, the intervals depending on the screen resolution I set.
>The interference stops if I turn off the monitor or when it blanks
>after the set timeout interval.
>
>The video cable has its own integral RFI filter, and I have tried
>adding a choke to the power cord and an additional one to the video
>cable, but to no avail.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Alan AB2OS

Alan,

No real good ideas other than you should have got a Envision monitor.
I have one here, it's a 17 incher and I paid a little over $100 for
it.  It generates no noise that I know of.  My Sony 15 inch did too.

You might try changing the resolution and see if the hash changes
frequency.  I assume you are using a grounded outlet for power?
Could it be your video card inside the computer generating the hash?

Good luck

Dale, K9VUJ