[RFI] More Thoughts on BPL

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon May 24 02:33:06 EDT 2004

At 11:15 PM 5/23/2004, Ed -K0iL wrote:
>This could even happen at a public power company not allowed to compete in
>non-electric utility matters.  And once the BPL company goes broke, the
>power company could buy the infrastructure for pennies on the dollar and
>place it back into service providing energy related services such as
>Automated Meter Reading, Load Mgmt, etc... so even if BPL fails floowing a
>large roll-out that might not be the end of it.

In reading comments on the FCC NPRM, I noted that some companies that are
explicitly in the business of providing hardware for managing power
distribution systems through carrier current (PLC) technology complained
that the NPRM did not make a distinction between their services and Access
BPL's provision of Internet services to consumers.  I had understood that
the management-type systems operated at VLF (wasn't that why the request
for a new amateur band down there was refused?) and did not require a ton
of transformer-by-transformer infrastructure to operate.  Anyone
knowledgeable about such systems who can comment?

More in the vein of a response to Eric's comments, I can readily accept
that this initiative is primarily driven by ideology.  That has to be it,
because the technological and financial merits sure don't explain it.  What
should be immensely disquieting to us all is that the FCC's NPRM
demonstrates such a profound lack of understanding of the technical issues.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004
2706 contest stations at