[RFI] RFI / Band Monitor

Jim jvpoll at dallas.net
Sun Nov 7 17:06:04 EST 2004

Martin,

It would seem to me that some 'standard' QSO
contacts need to be run (scheduled) and the
S/N ratio measured and 'recorded', maybe on a
daily or weekly basis, demonstrating a negative
slope, to fit in with Ed's comment and philosoply
I think.

'Harmful Interference' could then be seen numerically
how it impacts actual QSOs via 'degraded S/N ratios'.
By contrasting 'normal' signal levels and 'noise' signal
levels in the bands as opposed to absolute signal
strengths of 'noise' alone the 'harmful'  aspect could
be emphasized (however, absolute signal levels
are/would always be useful for engineering purposes).

Using a slightly different methology, perhaps some
statistics of 'average' received signal strengths from
various stations on various bands could be 'established'
as 'figures' for comparison against measured, 'absolute'
noise levels later on, and from which a determination,
after examination of the recorded data, one could deem
that certain noise 'levels' are indeed deemed to be
'harmful'.

One could record the activity on a couple of the more
popular HF nets, including the county hunters net, and
this collected data could be used as a baseline figure
as the resident, normal, expected in-band amateur
activity against which 'absolute' noise figures could be
compared. And the 'noise' need not be active at the
same time as the nets are; the two can be compared
at any convenient time, one against the other.

Just my two cents this evening ...

Jim  de WB5WPA