[RFI] NOISE GADGETS

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Wed Nov 10 10:32:08 EST 2004

Jim,

I'm having trouble correlating you're two statements:
"audio cables are too short and the wavelengths of audio signals too
long for
transmission line behavior of audio cables to be a factor"
And,
"you want cables to be as "beefy" as possible if you want good solid
bass. This is the
old "damping factor" issue. "

So my question is:
How does the change in DC resistance due to beefier cables affect the
bass frequencies?

First your saying there's no transmission line behavior due to the low
frequencies used, then you're talking about damping factor which implies
an impedance characteristic is in play.

I always thought that as long as you had a large enough conductor to
handle the power levels (with some safety margin) you were OK (thus the
Monster Cable guys are full of it).  But you're saying there is some
sort of impact to low frequency response based on the DC resistance?

Again, I'm no audio guy, but I'm having trouble putting this altogether
in my head.  Thanks.

73, de ed -K0iL