[RFI] Ethernet RFI Elimination?

Jim jvpoll at dallas.net
Tue Nov 30 12:25:46 EST 2004

How much of this is due to Ethernet activity
alone, separate from the huge amounts of
noise that the cheap switchmode power
supplies emit?

I have to keep my 3 yr old Linksys switch (not
simply a 'hub') turned off all the time but for when
needed owing to the prodigious amount of noise
put out by its wall-wart switchmode power supply.

For awhile I used a linear ('series pass' regulator)
lab-quality DC supply to power the Linksys
switch, but, this was highly inconvienent (size
of the required DC supply, the heat it produced)
so I adopted the method of bringing up the Linksys
with its noisy switcher via a switch activated by
foot on an as needed basis.

Jim  de WB5WPA