[RFI] 160 Meter Interference

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Tue Oct 5 20:41:09 EDT 2004

Bill wrote:

> I have eliminated my house as the culprit by shutting down the main breaker
> and operating the radio off battery power. I have also asked my neighbor to do the
> same thing which provided no clue either.

I had a switching supply on my LAN router that was giving me fits.  So I'd smack it on the desk top (pretty hard I might add) a few times and the noise would go away (or at least detune it for a while ; ).  Sure as heck it would return at the most inopportune moment, so I'd smack it up side the head a few more times.  Replacing it with a linear supply seems to have solved the problem forever.  But it occurs to me, do you have some device hooked to a UPS?  Or the UPS itself may be a problem.  With the interference so loud, it has to be close by.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com