[RFI] 160 Meter Interference

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 16:18:58 EDT 2004

I have had some luck hunting down noise sources using small nonresonant loops on a handheld, wideband receiver.  I demonstrated the method at the Puget Sound area Mike and Key Club's September meeting made from three Radio Shack items; a one foot PL259 jumper, a UHF series T adapter and an SO-239 to BNC adapter.  The noise source also came from Radio Shack; an 8-AA battery charger.

One useful trick, for harmonically caused problems like these, and using a small magnetic field antenna like a loop,  is to tune to a LOWER frequency harmonic of the source.   This reduces sensitivity, but makes it easier to locate the source.

Cortland Richmond
KA5S