[RFI] Ferrite Beads

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 05:01:43 EDT 2004

Jim Smith wrote:
>Sounds very ingenious and effective.  The only problem is that I can't
>picture it.  Can you give us a little more info?
>
>73, Jim   VE7FO
>
>Ford Peterson wrote:
>
>>I use a machinist vice to do the dirty deed.  By separating two blocks to the approximate diameter of the toroids, and using a drill bit on the
>>opposite side of the core, in the middle between the blocks, the vice will split them in two nearly perfect every time.  As long as you keep the
>>halves matched up in pairs, they can be placed back together with an almost imperceptible crack between them.  I think the coupling in this
>>manner is actually much better than the traditional split cores could ever be.

There are gadgets available for bending metal in the vice, that have a
sharp blade squeezing into the centre of a V-block. They might be just
perfect for splitting toroids.

Search in http://www.axminster.co.uk for product codes 4MVB, 6MVB and
K0801.

(I'm out of town for the next 10 days, but might give it a try later and
report back.)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek