[RFI] RFI vs QRO?

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Fri Oct 22 17:27:33 EDT 2004

Alan,

There would be no problem detecting the Amperion system we had in Cedar
Rapids.  It is off the air now,of course, but Mike must have a deaf
receiver or spectrum analyzer, or he hasn't been past an Amperion or
Mitsubishi (the one in Arizona) system lately.

Keep something else in mind:  the folks who live in Compliance Land (the
FCC, the BPL vendors, and the Power Companies) use antennas and receivers
(usually spectrum analyzers) that are quite "deaf" by communications
standards.  That is why you can be a block (or more) away from the active
BPL nodes and still have 20 over 9 garbage on most HF bands.  The plots we
made for the Cedar Rapids test report (links at the FCC and ARRL web sites)
were made using the communication antennas of W0SR and Agilent spectrum
analyzers set for 3 kHz bandwidth, as close as we could get to the BW of a
SSB communication receiver.  Net sensitivity of the analyzer was within 1
order of magnatude of most receivers, and all the plots were well above the
noise floor of the analyzers.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

                      "Alan NV8A (ex.
                      AB2OS)"                  To:       Rfi <rfi at contesting.com>
                      <nv8a at att.net>           cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [RFI] RFI vs QRO?
                      rfi-bounces at conte
                      sting.com

                      10/22/2004 01:55
                      PM

A group of us met last night with Mike Martin K3RFI, who is an
interference investigator by profession (he was in town for
consultations with the Holland Board of Public Works, which ran
fiber-optic cable through the whole business district years ago and has
not the slightest interest in doing BPL) and often helps other hams with
RFI issues.

He said that he has driven through areas where BPL is in use, but with
his sophisticated and expensive equipment has never detected anything
other than the normal power-line noise to be found anywhere.

FWIW.

Alan NV8A

On 10/22/04 01:37 pm EDWARDS, EDDIE J put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace: