[RFI] Re: Final Re about smell tests

Tim Groat tcgroat at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 26 00:55:42 EDT 2004

Eddie,

I'm curious if you measured the "noise pulses" with a quasi-peak receiver
or spectrum analyzer. That is what the FCC specifies for Part 15 devices at
HF. The QP detector has a fast-attack, slow-decay response (1ms and 1 sec
time constants, respectively, if I recall correctly). It's intended to
represent the perceived severity of low duty cycle interference sources.

I have seen more than 30dB difference between the QP detector and average
signal levels. That often happens when a rectifier produces short,
high-amplitude transients at every AC line half-cycle.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)