[RFI] Earth isolation

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Sep 8 18:26:02 EDT 2004

> Has anyone any ideas or suggestions on preventing
interference from the
> earth connection in the shack? Is there a way of isolating
the earth
> (probably a contradiction in terms) to prevent RFI getting
back up the
> earth, or isolating the power earth? Or am I talking MDS?

George,

Do the right thing and correct whatever is causing the
common mode current to appear on the ground.

The ground MUST have a low common mode impedance over a very
wide bandwidth to be effective at reducing lightning damage,
and it must have a safe, reliable, very  solid, low AC
resistance connection to earth and the power mains ground to
minimize safety problems.

What type of antennas are you using? What type of feedlines?
Any baluns?

73 Tom