[RFI] ECM...etc.

Dave Bernstein dave.bernstein at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 16:06:47 EDT 2004

None of the steps one takes to provision a home with high-speed internet
access via BPL provide as a "free side-effect" the ability to read the
home's electricity usage meter in real time. At minimum, the existing meter
must be replaced with unit that can occasionally communicate with a power
company billing application; in a BPL installation, that probably means via
HomePlug. A power company offering BPL could include the cost of this meter
upgrade in its "initial BPL connection fee", but this would make BPL less
competitive with alternatives like cable and DSL that don't bundle real-time
internet access with an electricity usage meter upgrade.

If transformer bypasses or pole-mounted WiFi transceivers could somehow
double as electricity usage meters without increasing their cost, then
combining BPL and real-time meter reading would be financially advantageous;
since there is no such commonality, the combination yields no economic
benefit.

In the scenario where messaging connectivity between the home and the power
company is provided by something other than BPL (e.g. cable, DSL,
telephone), the power company is not required to pay for 100% the equipment.
They need only offer the consumer an attractive deal, say "pay $200 up front
for a new meter, and lower your electricity bills by $100 per year".

I've seen no description of how real-time utility control might work, and so
can't comment on that aspect.

I don't at all discount time-of-day meter meter reading; my previous message
described it as a "win-win" for everyone. Were power companies focused on
this, they could introduced it years ago using techniques like those
employed by pay-per-view suppliers.

    73,

         Dave, AA6YQ