[RFI] Utility Automation

Tyler Stewart k3mm at comcast.net
Sun Sep 12 10:20:44 EDT 2004

Wireless network infrastructure for utility SCADA is available now and
already in use at a small number of companies.  It is a much more mature
enterprise technology and it's getting cheaper to deploy every day.

My power company has been slowly building it's wireless SCADA network for
several years and using it to control remote switches.  However, we are now
moving to build on this same infrastructure to do outage detection and
automated meter reading.

For outage detection, you really only need one wireless meter per
transformer, which I believe is about 1 in 5 customers in all but rural
areas.

BPL still has some fairly insurmountable technical issues to make it
economically viable and more importantly, reliable.

When a storm takes down power lines, BPL will not work.  Wireless will.
What could be more important to a power company?  Reliability is the key and
BPL fails the test.

Tyler Stewart
K3MM