[RFI] Electric company problem

Mike Brown k9mi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 10 11:27:21 EST 2005

Early this fall, my 4th case of rfi from electric company hardware in 9
years, reared its ugly head. Number 1&2 were fixed, although it was around 3
or 4 months on each case. Number 3 took ARRL involvement, and finally a
letter from the FCC about fines, to get it fixed. That one was about 7
months.

I got a call yesterday from the guy who trouble shoots these things, and the
bottom line is that my problem is low on the list, and don't expect to see
anyone out again until spring. Not surprising.

Sorry about the boring history, but here's my question. My tower is up 40ft.
If I were to get one up, say around 70ft, will it make it easier to hear on
the ham bands only, or will I just be hearing the Rfi that much better? The
RFI beaming EU is about 20 over with the least being about S7. The source of
the interference is probably 100 yards away, maybe a little less.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can see this is going to be an ongoing
problem, and I am tired of fighting with them. If I can't come up with a
bandaid fix of my own, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

73, Mike, K9MI