[RFI] Electric company problem

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Dec 11 13:15:37 EST 2005

Hi Ed,

> Do you live in a rural area or sparse suburb?

Doesn't matter.

My point was only that it isn't accurate to say a noise
canceller does not work on multiple sources or exclude any
particular noise source like a power line.

A single source, even if radiation is distributed along the
length of a power line surrounding a house, can be nulled.
Multiple sources can be nulled also as long as they are in
the same general direction and not in the near field.
Multiple sources can be nulled when the radiate from one
common point in a system. Doesn't even matter if the source
or sources vary in level.

What can't be nulled are multiple sources in different
directions or multiple sources that are in close proximity
(near field) when they are significantly different
distances, even when in the same direction.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

The problem is most people probably won't be able to figure
out if it will work or not unless they experiment. I'd hate
to see someone give up operating because they didn't try
something that might help based on the incorrect assumption
it won't work on power line noise. MFJ, while it may not be
the best company for QC, has a no questions asked return
policy. It also has the best canceling system on the market
so far as overall amplitude and phase performance at HF.

73 Tom