[RFI] What antennas are good for HF DFing?

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:38:23 EST 2005

Frank,

just an idea:  maybe a powdered iron rod with as many turns of wire around
it as possible (i.e. a loop stick antenna, like what is found in most medium
wave AM rx but bigger) would work?

the longer the rod the better.  maybe 12" long with ~ 150 turns on it.  You
can get such a rod from ferrite material suppliers, maybe RF Parts, Amidon,
Palomar?

for AM radio rx, these make antennas with pretty sharp nulls off the ends.
I see no reason why they would not also have a null off the end in the
direction of the source when used to rx mw hash.

I'd also see if an AM aircraft VHF rx picks up the noise when placed
extremely close to the source.
it could be the source is so broad that is has radiated energy up into
VHF--but it doesn't travel very far.  I use an AM aircraft rx and small yagi
to df powerline noise.

rob/k5uj