[RFI] rf and insulin pumps

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 00:59:21 EST 2005

Here are some results of poking around the Web via Google, and on the FCC
site.  While you should confirm this information with Medtronic, I think it
likely the link runs in the 402-405 MHz Medical Implant Communication
Service as below.

Cortland

Excerpts:

In the Matter of                                      )
                                                               )
Amendment of Parts 2 and 95                 )    WT Docket No. 99-66
of the Commission's Rules                       )     RM-9157
to Establish a Medical Implant                 )
Communications Service in the                 )
402-405 MHz Band                                )

Source: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/1999/fcc99363.txt

Operations
Equipment
 Interference

MICS systems consist of the transmitters connected to medical implant
devices, and programming, monitoring and control equipment. A Medical
implant device is generally regarded as apparatus that is placed inside the
human body for the purpose of performing diagnostic or therapeutic
functions, such as cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.

Interference Safeguards

Users of MICS transmitters must cooperate in the selection and use of
channels in order to reduce interference and to make the most effective use
of the authorized facilities. Most importantly, channels must be selected
so as to avoid interference to other MICS transmissions. As a safeguard
against such MICS-to-MICS interference, external medical implant
programmer/control MICS transmitters must incorporate a mechanism for
monitoring the channel or channels that the MICS system devices intend to
occupy and, unless there is a medical implant event,* may not initiate a
MICS communications session unless certain "access criteria" are met. (See
47 CFR 95.628(a))

Source:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/medicalimplant/operations/equipmen
t.html

About Medical Implant Communications
Bandplan

The 402-405 MHz frequency band is available for MICS operations on a
shared, secondary basis. The FCC determined that, compared to other
available frequencies, the 402-405 MHz frequency band best meets the
technical requirements of the MICS for a number of reasons. The 402-405 MHz
frequencies have propagation characteristics conducive to the transmission
of radio signals within the human body.

Source:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/medicalimplant/data/bandplan.html

In fact, the Commission decided to allow MICS operation in the 402 to 405
MHz band assigned to the Meteorological Aids Service (“METAIDS”) because of
the compatibility between MICS and METAIDS operations.19  Because the band
is internationally designated for METAIDS use as the primary service, it
can...

Source:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_documen
t=6513404969

€  WC2XWS  MEDTRONIC  INC  0080-  EX-  PL-  2002  New  experimental  to
operate  in  402-  405  MHz  for  testing  MICS  transmitters  for  future
FCC  and  FDA  certification.  Mobile:  Temporary  Locations  Nationwide

Source:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-223134A1.txt?date=0206
07
NOTE: June 2002

(ii) MICS channel--Any continuous segment of spectrum that is equal
to the emission bandwidth of the device with the largest bandwidth that
is to participate in a MICS communications session. (Note: The rules do
not specify a channeling scheme for use by MICS systems.)
    (iii) MICS communications session--A collection of transmissions,
that may or may not be continuous, between MICS system devices.
    (b) MICS communications sessions initiated by a medical implant
event are not required to use the access criteria set forth in paragraph
(a) of this section.
    (c) Stations may operate on any of the frequencies in the band 402-
405 MHz, provided that the out-of-band emissions are attenuated in
accordance with Sec. 95.635.
    (d) The authorized bandwidth of the emission from a MICS station
shall not exceed 300 kHz, and no communications session involving MICS
stations shall use more than a total of 300 kHz of bandwidth during such
a session. Note: This provision does not preclude full duplex or half
duplex communications provided that the total amount of bandwidth
utilized by all of the MICS channels employed in such a MICS
communications session does not exceed 300 kHz.
    (e) Each transmitter in the MICS service must maintain a frequency
stability of +/-100 ppm of the operating frequency over the range:
    (1) 25[deg]C to 45[deg]C in the case of medical implant
transmitters; and
    (2) 0[deg]C to 55[deg]C in the case of medical implant programmer/
control transmitters.

Source Part 95
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov
/cfr_2004/octqtr/47cfr95.628.htm