[RFI] Gigibyte BPL?

Jim jvpoll at dallas.net
Tue Jan 11 13:32:23 EST 2005

I think this may (IOW, use the info below cautiously)
have been done before, but, may I surmise that these
researchers, locked away in academia and seeking
'research dollars' managed to mildly hornswaggle
some front office bidness types into funding a study
to discover AWAU (a wheel already uncovered), to
wit, the:

    "Surface-wave Transmission Line"

Description (Google cache):

http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:TkTRpUZwBmAJ:sunsite.tus.ac.jp/pub/acad
emic/agriculture/agronomy/ham/ANTENNAS/20030218.ant+%22surface-wave+transmis
sion+line%22+launcher&hl=en&start=2

Applicable excerpt:

  The book decsribes this as a surface-wave transmission line,
  normally using a thick dielectric (total diameter is often 3 or more
  times the diameter of the single conductor).  "A mode of
  propagation that is practically non-radiating is excited on the line
  by means of a conical horn at each end [called launchers] ... mouth
  of the horn is roughly 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength in diameter.  Losses are
  about half those of a two-wire line, but the surface-wave line has a
  practical lower limit of about 50 megacycles.

  The losses in the two launchers combined vary from less than
  .5 dB to a little more than 1.0 dB, according to their design."

  A reference is given to an article "Designing surface-wave
  transmission lines" by Georg Goubau in Electronics vol. 27, April
  1954.  I wonder whether Goubau is the "G" in "G-line"?

Also described in my Sixth edition/3rd printing 1979
ITT "Reference Data For Radio Engineers" on page 24-30.

Commercial adaptation (as far as I can determine):

        http://www.corridor.biz/news.htm

Jim P  / WB5WPA  /