[RFI] AC line noise

Jim P jvpoll at dallas.net
Sat Mar 12 20:08:09 EST 2005

Terry,

Twenty years ago I used to have a quite QTH, from
AM Broadcast band through six meters; this changed
substantially since then, predominantly owing to the
myriad of electronic devices (using switching power
supplies, computer monitors, etc) which are connected
to the AC line.

Currently, the noisiest place on the AM Broadcast band
in my house is near the AC meter as well!

I, to, have underground power lines. They seem to conduct
'noise' from all my neighbors houses quite effectively. I can
easily locate the underground lines through the use of
an AM broadcast receiver near the ground too.

One of the 'offenders' a few years back that was producing
a 'carrier' on a 50 KW blowtorch station's signal was a
computer monitor at a woman's house across the
alley; an AC line filter offered to her cured the problem.

The filter was one of the rugged Tripplite cast aluminum housed
series - a $60 dollar solution to the problem.

Okay - back to the movie 'Minority Report'.

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /