[RFI] Fwd: A `Time Bomb' Sits Atop 30, 000 Utility Poles In State

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Sep 14 05:48:33 EDT 2005

Thanks, Tom - interesting piece.  Our HV distribution here is 7500V, so our cutouts may not be the same series, but it strikes me as worth asking.

Also, this may belong on Towertalk, but this procelain cracking phenomenon is far from confined to powerline insulators.  I installed the jonny-ball insulators on my bottom set of guys upside down, so that the unglazed surface is up.  Recently I noticed that all the insulators are only part there,evidently as a result of freeze-thaw cycles and water in the porcelain.

73, Pete