[RFI] Ambient Noise Levels

Jim P jvpoll at dallas.net
Tue Aug 8 21:39:27 EDT 2006

Yeah, it probably is "atmospheric" since everyone
seems to attribute the 'blame' that way (but I would
ask you or anyone else to cite me "studied work" on
the subject to support that contention.)

Chalk it up to the fact you are probably using using a
narrow band SSB or CW filter when you receive that
wide-band noise; you would probably hear a raspy 60
or 120 Hz racket if you opened up your IF bandwidth and
used the AM mode to listen to the 'noise'.

Now, I *do* draw the distinction between multiple
distant signals and the plethora of interference that
creates, especially on 40 what with all the foreign
broadcasters.

Jim P