[RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Sun Dec 17 15:51:17 EST 2006

> The lights are exterior low-voltage halogen accent lights.  The source of
> the rfi is the so-called "transformer" which converts the 120v a/c to 12v
> a/c (pretty sure it's a/c anyway).   These "transformers" are actually
> made-in-china switching power supplies.  If they have any filtering at all,
> I can't tell it.   Intense noise is present from the am bc band all the way
> through 11 MHz.  It's particularly strong on 80 and 40 meters.   Checks with
> a handheld shortwave radio show that the a/c wiring is hot with this rf,
> not only in their building, but in ours and in the single-family home next
> door to us.
>
> Operating from a condo is a character-building experience.
>
> 73, Steve WA5RPF

It sounds as though these things may be in violation
of FCC regs.

Have you considered filing a complaint wth the FCC
and perhaps the FTC?

It may trigger a recall and replacement with properly
designed devices.  It has happened before.  You just
have to be a squeeky wheel -- and may need to ask the
constituent service person in your US Congressman's
office to express interest in the case to the FCC on
your behalf.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
... in sunny & warm Florida  :-)