[RFI] Humming "Telephone" Poles

Missouri Guy, N0TT n0tt1 at juno.com
Wed Dec 20 22:52:07 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:40:51 -0600 "Mike W2LO" <rfman45 at hotmail.com>
writes:

>    There are two ordinary wooden "telephone" poles in my
> neighborhood
> carrying just H/V and telephone lines-no transformers, etc.-just the
> wires
> supported by two insulators. Occasionally when I pass them while
> walking,
> there is a fairly loud hum coming from them.

It's most likely the wind, even a fairly light or "calm" wind, that
can cause the wires to vibrate at some audio frequency.  Sometimes
vibration dampeners are placed on long spans to reduce/eliminate
destructive vibration.  Those can be seen on HV transmission
lines and even on the guy wires of tall towers.

In your example, the vibration may ultimately loosen
connections and/or hardware and then you'll have RFI.

Charlie, N0TT