[RFI] Help: Telephone Ringer Blown Out

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 15 14:29:44 EST 2006

It's black magic.  No seriously, lightning and the lightning tolerance of individual units is incredibly variable.  For example, when we took our big hit in 1994 none of our phones were affected, but the solid state voice outgoing message memory on our answering machine was fried.

Your house should have a gas tube arrestor as part of the telco's terminal box on the house.  I would suspect that either the gas tube has taken too many hits or that the ground from the box is not good.  The telco should fix that.

73, Pete