[RFI] Computer cases and RFI

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:36:24 EST 2006

This is a case (no pun intended) where it would be good to have some
data.  Obviously, an open hole has no shielding value, but the normal
computer case with a metal panel may not be a lot better.  At least
the one on my desk has no positive electrical connection with the main
case.  One screw and a couple of fingers for the mechanical
connection.

The good news is that this system is "quiet enough" for me, even with
the panel off.  When I have troubles, it's always with the external
cabling.  (Without chokes, external wiring can be an efficient
radiator - comparable in length to a wavelength.) A truly RF-tight
computer would look a lot different than the ones we normally see.

Of course, all bets are off when you put in the neon lighting to show
off your custom box.  You did buy the motherboard with the fluorescent
connectors, didn't you?

73 Martin AA6E