[RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues

FoMoCo EMC fomoco_emc at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:28:37 EST 2006

It would be great if auto manufacturers offered that option or even had good
technical service bulletins to inform you as to what modifications would be
required to obtain a quieter vehicle.

The trouble is that from an emissions standpoint the vehicle is like an
onion.  You peel the first layer of noise by elimininating the ignition
noise.  Now you can hear the cooling fan and fuel pump so you peel that
layer by fixing those issues.  This keeps going until you finally get to a
level (layer) that you can tolerate for weak signal work, but by that time
you have modified the wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel pump driver module,
cooling fan control module, engine control module, ignition coil, plugs, and
ignition wires.

The cost of having this level of differentiation is large enough that when
weighed against the benefit of the added sales from the option that it is a
loss to the manufacturer.  With the manufacturers in red ink anything that
adds cost is carefully scrutinized.

Still the best bet for resolving these issues is through forums like
rfi at contesting.com.   The manufacturers can't offer the help at the level
that most hams need.  Call any of the manufacturers and they will tell you
to take it up with the dealer and then when it appears as a blip on the
monthly warranty reports there might be some resolution coming from the
factory.

EMC Guy