[RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues

Michael Germino ad6aa at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 01:48:14 EST 2006

Drilling a hole in the roof for an antenna is usually the best bet.  Unless its the XYL's car. HIHI

  1.  The antenna needs a good ground.

  2.  The antenna needs a good ground.  (yes, I said it twice)

  3.  Vertical separation is better than horizontal separation at decreasing interference.

  Mike
  AD6AA

digital-conjurers at adelphia.net wrote:
  Had a 1990 Mazda with an interesting twist: The rear window defogger grid was a _perfect 1/2 wave on 2 meters._ The antenna was on the trunk. Tried everything; RF traps, chokes, bypassing, toroids, etc etc. Never solved the problem, which largely had to do with the cruise control ramping up under key-down, and the LEFT turn signal flashing 2X as fast.

Went to a 1/2 wave on-the-front-window-thru-glass Larsen, went from 25W to 10W, and that cured about 70% of it, but it always was a bugaboo.

I would NOT install a mobile rig of any kind on my 2001 Mazda; this thing has more computers on it than Carter has pills, and they're _expensive_. Looks like the older, pre-computer vehicles are more desirable for this sort of thing!

-Lin/KJ6EF