[RFI] RFI Canceling RFI?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Mar 10 07:37:31 EST 2006

I wonder if maybe it is something else entirely.  A dozen years ago I had this sort of RFI on a couple of discrete frequencies in the 80-meter band.  I traced it to a neighbor's house, where we discovered that it was related to an upstairs bathroom's lights.  The odd parts - the lights were ordinary incandescent, and the interference was only present when the lights were switched *off* at the wall switch.

I replaced the wall switch - an ordinary 72-cent "silent" (non-mercury) switch - and that cured the noise.  A few weeks later, I discovered another emitter a little farther away in the development - same source, same cure.

Never did figure out what the mechanism could have been to account for it.

73, Pete N4ZR