[RFI] 12vdc native laptop

FoMoCo EMC fomoco_emc at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 14:35:35 EDT 2006

Most computer noise in a notebook computer that bothers you in the HF band
will be from Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS).  A typical notebook has a
few power supplies that can give you grief.  First there is the the AC/DC
power cube which is external to the notebook and has over a meter of cable
going to each of the AC and DC connectors which makes for a more efficient
radiator.

Then there is the DC to DC supply in the laptop that takes the DC input
(around 18V) and generates the +/- 12V, 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V or whatever the
processor is running on.  It is essentially several separate SMPS.

Next is the supply that takes 5V and generates the HV AC for the LCD
backlight.  The LCD itself may also have a SMPS that generates the various
bias voltages used in the panel itself.

By its nature SMPS noise is broadband so it will wipe out more than a few
kilohertz and repeat itself at harmonics of the switch frequency.  When
hunting down these issues use a divide and conquer approach.  For every
frequency that causes interference you will need to remove cables, disable
features, etc to determine the root cause of the issue.

For example,  if you hear a 20 kHz wide signal in the radio and it repeats
itself every 50 kHz it shows the characteristics of a SMPS.  Remove the AC
power cube and run the laptop on batteries.  If it went away then you pretty
much have it isolated.  If not keep going until you find it.

I don't recommend tearing your laptop apart to fix it but that depends on
your comfort level.

Remember to disconnect your receive antenna from the receiver to verify that
you are hearing the interference through the antenna and not through the
radio cabinet or power line.

Hope this helps but I don't expect it to be easy.