[RFI] IN-band Filters

Jim P jvpoll at dallas.net
Tue Nov 7 23:11:58 EST 2006

Stubs?

Low Q?

What are you using - RG58?

Q, related to cable loss, is much reduced for the larger
diameter coaxial cables, with measured Q's of over 1000
obtainable with 'stubs' made of Heliax at Six meters (for
instance), but I must confess, not everyone has the ability
to obtain, construct and transport a "stub-based in-band
filter" made out of 1 1/4" or 1 5/8" Heliax for use on Forty
Meters!

A couple of years back I went though the exercise of designing,
building and testing an in-band filter for use on the PSK31 seg-
ment of the 20 Meter band against the majority of the phone
portion of that same band; I ended up fabricating the capacitors
from Duroid uWave board material since the ESR of dipped
silver Mica caps caused them to quite literally smoke at the 5 -
10 W power level of a PSK31 rig owing to the very, very high
currents appearing in the filter elements given the design and
'sharpness' of that particular filter.

Jim P // WB5WPA //