[RFI] RFI all over the band

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sun Oct 1 07:42:02 EDT 2006

Power line noise that comes and goes with rain is likely caused by bad
insulators.  When the insulator is dry it is arcing and making noise, when
it gets wet the water fills the gap and current flows smoothly without
arcing.

A government owned utility may be tough to deal with.  But I can think of
couple possibilities.  First, convince them that this type of noise is an
indication that an insulator is about to fail, and replacing it soon will
prevent greater damage and overtime pay when it likely fails during
non-working hours.  Or you could also convince them that it is a sign of
high leakage currents resulting in higher losses and wasted power.  You can
also try to turn other agencies against them, if the noise is interfering
with broadcast radio or tv stations you may be able to get them to put
pressure on the power authority to fix it.  Also check out police and fire
frequencies to see if it interferes with them in the area.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net