[RFI] Intermod/Rectification

Stu Benner w3stu at myactv.net
Mon Oct 23 18:10:17 EDT 2006

Mike,

Although you stated that there seems to be some dependency on weather
conditions, I would recommend that you first verify that the problem is not
a function of your receiver. Have you observed the same signals on another
receiver? Consider adding an attenuator, say 10 dB, at the input the
receiver. If the undesired signal drops by more than 10 dB (say on the order
of 30 dB),  you're looking at a receiver overload problem. Another way to
evaluate this is by determining from license data the difference in day and
night field strength of the problem AM station and use that as your
calibrated signal difference. (The only caveat here is that there may be
other variables between the day and night signals that could have an effect
on your problem such as different transmitters, different audio processing,
how well the station complies with its licensed power and pattern, etc.)

You describe the signal as "pulsing." Is the observed variation coincident
with the AM station's modulation, is it seemingly random, or does it have
some other pattern?

That's enough to start with.

Regards,
Stu Benner