[RFI] Rain induced static

digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com
Tue Dec 4 12:46:32 EST 2007

I don't know a great deal about static induced directly by rain hitting HV
lines, but here in dusty, sooty, gritty, 10-inches-of-rain-or-less-per-year
San Diego County, I do know that the first rain of the season often
produces havok if it's 1/2 or less; all the filth on the insulators from 10
months of no rain makes an excellent electrical pathway when a little
sprinkle is added.

Matter of fact, it usually takes a good 1" downpour or so to really wash
the insulators well; until that happens, we get arcing, power surges,
outages occasionally, etc etc, and lots of QRN.  The power co. does all it
can to keep the insulators clean, but they never seem to be able to get all
of them during the dry season, which is most of the time.

This is all I know of this sort of phenomenon.

-Lin/KJ6EF