[RFI] Power Lines

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Dec 22 22:06:51 EST 2007

     I am near the path of a rather large DC transmission network called the Pacific DC Intertie. There is some awesome technology involved in this HVDC. A rather large Building about 100 miles North of my shack is used to house the rectifiers alone. Some fascinating reading  here: "  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_DC_Intertie "   This system runs between The Dalles Oregon on the Columbia river and Sylmar Calif. This system can and has been used with the earth as one ground return "wire" and the transmission line as the other. Not your backyard ground rod used here. Can you say galvanic reaction on your water pipes?  There are 4 Power generation dams within 20 miles of my shack and I am delighted that the closest 238Kv line coming out of the Round Butte Dam about 5 miles from my shack is pretty quiet. I have only heard the fizz when driving near it. Other smaller dams use a lower voltage and feed local grids.
Lee K7TJR Oregon