[RFI] DSL INTERFERENCE FROM 160 METERS

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 6 21:57:04 EST 2007

Probably the nature of the beast.

ADSL uses spectrum up to 1.1 MHz and ADSL2 up to 2.2 MHz.  At maximum reach
there is only about a few uV difference between bits in the digital signal
,and this makes it sensitive to noise of any kind.   An in-band RF signal
is *supposed* to result in deselecting blanked carriers, but it sounds to
me as if the modem front end is desensing when you run 160.

In tests on an early ADSL system yrars ago, I found immunity could be
improved if a receiving modem were isolated (the green wire wasn't
filtered) and hefty RF common-mode filteriung added to the power and
telephone lines. Radio Shack DSL filters might help, but you need a really
high impedance common mode (bifilar is best) choke to cut the 160 meter
signal down at the modem input.

Cortland
KA5S

<crazytvjohn at yahoo.com>; <rfi at contesting.com>