[RFI] N6TR JA noise update

Tree tree at kkn.net
Thu Jan 25 12:51:50 EST 2007

First off - as point out this link was wrong:

> http://www.kkn.net/~tree/noise1.doc

It was noise.doc for the first letter, but I copied it to both file names
so it will work now.

This morning - it appears the noise continues to diminish in duration.  I
heard it come on only once for about 5 seconds.  This was with sporadic
listening over a 30 minute period.  It seems likely that the noies is
still showing up every 20 minutes or so - but only for 5 seconds instead
of two minutes as reported in noise4.doc.

Another clue - but I still have no idea what it is.

I have been contacted by about half of the neighbors and they have been
very helpful.  Probably having many of their kids witness an ISS QSO
has helped my PR - and my wife is very active volunteering at the schools.

This feels like a virus that has mutated to a less dangerous form, but
who knows what the future will bring.  While we have had a recent warming
trend (during the day) - it was 23 degrees F this morning.

The fact that this thing was VERY consistent (6 or 7 seconds on, 7 to 10
seconds off) for nearly six weeks - and then suddenly starts changing
after my letters started showing up really makes me wonder what is going
on.

And yes - a meth lab in a basement has crossed my mind - which does make
me a bit concerned about knocking on people's doors that I haven't
established any contact with.

You can see the general area where the noise is coming from here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=boring,+or&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=18&ll=45.418301,-122.415859&spn=0.001743,0.005375&iwloc=addr

The noise seems strongest near the center of the picture - perhaps on
the north side of the highway.

There are intersecting power lines there at 90 degrees and the noise is
clearly being conducted into them.  Three of the houses that have contacted
me are the two above the highway and one below it near this epicenter.

I can hear the noise if I go to the intersection and put my loop near the
traffic light pole.  However, the timing of the noise seems to have nothing
to do with the street light - and in my car - the noise is generally hard
to hear even that far away.

If this noise decides to only be on for 5 seconds every 20 minutes or so,
that obviously is something I can live with.  However, it would be nice
to ID this so the next person that has to deal with this has some better
clues.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net