[RFI] High Efficience Furnaces

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Jul 19 16:57:32 EDT 2007

Jim,

I have had a Rheem high efficiency (>92%) furnace in my home since late
2000.  It's blower is not variable speed, but going by other posted
replies, it doesn't sound as if a variable speed blower is a major RFI
issue -  at least for the makes and models given.  I can vouch for the
fact that, as K9RB just stated in his post, you will get a staccato effect
on your HF rigs for a few seconds when the igniters fire.  In my case,
it's only about an S-3 issue.  Interestingly, when the electronic igniter
on my A. O. Smith water heater fires, I get no detectable noise at all in
the radio.

I hope you have natural gas, not propane.  I can tell you that with
propane, which is what I am forced to use, the sensors get soot deposits
and require periodoc cleaning.  Yes, my burners are set for nice blue
flames.  Maybe my propane supply leaves something to be desired, but other
than the sensor cleaning, I am happy camper.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Jimk8mr at aol.com
Sent by: rfi-bounces at contesting.com
07/19/2007 08:41 AM

rfi at contesting.com
cc

Subject
[RFI] High Efficience Furnaces

Before it gets cold again I will likely be replacing my old gas  furnace.
am looking at the high efficiency models, probably one with  just a two
speed
blower rather than a variable speed one.

Any RFI experience with these furnaces, any good brands or brands to
avoid,
etc.?

73  -  Jim   K8MR