[RFI] Long distance grounding

N6KI Dennis Vernacchia n6ki_73 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 21:12:38 EDT 2007

Dave,

	Something that has worked for me and a few other hams in the past is to
take a length of old RG-8/RG-213 NON FOAM type
coax and hook the center conductor on one end to ground rod and
center conductor other end to rig area common ground point
then take a .001 uF Ceramic Disk Cap and connect from
center conductor to ground at each end ( 2 caps needed )
( Foam coax would probably work but I generally avoid using
it unless I need low loss in a system - it has a bad habit
of wicking up moisture if not sealed properly or gravitaing the
center conductor towards the shield in a tight bend !)

For teh Capacitors, I recommend 1 kV rating for up to 200 Watts
station and 5 kV for 1.5 kW station in case any wayward RF
finds it's way onto shield of that coax you don't toast the cap.

I read about this solution many years ago in a ham magazine and not sure
exactly how/why it works but it has worked for several hams
that had long ground runs. ( Over 1/4 wavelength at highest freq used )

Maybe some one on the reflector will let us know why it works
most times.

73, Dennis N6KI