[RFI] Long distance grounding

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Jun 11 21:27:35 EDT 2007

> Hi folks, I'm revamping my shack and and wondering how to
> ground a set of
> radios that is on the opposite wall from where my RF
> ground is located. The
> primary location is occupied by one set of radios and the
> only other place
> for the other set is on the opposite wall which is 14 feet
> across the room.
> Given this distance, routing the ground wire would
> probably result in at
> least 20 feet before it reaches the main ground bus.

Dave,

Why would you need an RF ground? Are you feeding a long wire
antenna against the ground in the shack?  Or perhaps you
have an end-fed Zepp or Windom?

As Martin just said....if the feedlines are installed
correctly, you have properly designed antennas with good
feed systems, your equipment is proper, and you have no
common mode currents on the feeders there isn't need at all
for a RF ground. I don't use one, all of my grounding in the
shack is for lightning and safety.

73 Tom