[RFI] N6CW TVI

Dave Phemister phemid at qwest.net
Fri Jun 22 01:05:37 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Phemister [mailto:phemid at qwest.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:12 PM
To: 'ab7rw'
Subject: RE: [RFI] N6CW TVI

Hi all,
If you haven't installed a LOW PASS filter on your radio equipment, now is
the time to do so. Also, you need to investigate your station ground system.

You want to have single point grounding, radio to a grounding bar, tuner to
the same grounding bar, low pass filter to the same grounding bar, any other
equipment in your shack to the same grounding bar. Use stranded copper wire
no smaller than # 10 AWG and as short as possible.
Run a ground wire, minimum #6 AWG to an 8' ground rod directly outside your
shack wall.
Do not rely on the AC ground to be your station ground, it won't work.
Make sure ALL ground connections are tight and the outside connections are
weather proofed.
Check ALL coax connectors that they are installed on the coax correctly and
that their mating connections are clean and protected against weather.
Now, let's look at the TV's. Are they over 7-9 years old and in plastic
box's, It's possible that they don't have proper internal bypassing or
internal shielding. Are you receiving your programming "OFF-THE-AIR"???
Are your Ham Radio antennas in the vicinity of the TV's???
Are you running 100 watts or legal limit???
If any of the TV conditions above exist, you may not be able to correct the
TVI problem.
At my QTH I can receive TV programming OFF-THE-AIR or from the Dish Network.
While running full legal limit, I have no TVI on any TV in the house or
interference on any wired or wireless phone. I don't get any interference on
my computer which sits about 2 1/2 feet from my linear amp.
This is due to proper filtering and grounding within my station.
73's,
Dave - WB7ESV