[RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines

RFI Services mike at rfiservices.com
Tue May 22 13:26:33 EDT 2007

Hi Ken,
Your friend is partially correct.
 I rarely get complaints or sources on 115kv and higher, however my concern
would be what they will do for you if it does become a problem?
I've found RFI sources on transmission lines 10 miles from the complaints
address. I would have an attorney work with you and have them agree to
hiring an expert to resolve the issue should one begin, including a time
period for them to respond.
If it's a power company, call them as if you have a problem on their system
and see what kind of response you get. That will be the same response you'll
get if their is a 115kv noise on your property.
EHV- Transmission lines are also affected by foul weather.
During the rain as the water/rain approaches the lines there is a discharge
in the gap between the line and the water droplet. When the water touches
the line a corona discharge occurs. As the water drops from the line the
same thing happens again in reverse order. Multiply that times the number of
rain drops. This is referred to as "foul weather corona". This is one of the
extremely rare times that corona affects radio. The other is when the corona
is extremely bad and that's another lesson.

Michael C Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island RD
Tracys Landing, MD 20779